Technique N°7 - Play like a child
How your inner child has a role to play to solve challenges!
At eYeka we believe that everyone is creative as soon as one opens his mind and lets ideas flow freely. To help creators from everywhere tackle brand issues, we are providing you with Creative Techniques. Browse them, play with them and add them to your daily creative process to generate your best ideas!
A problem must be shaken up to allow you to generate ideas. And who’s better than a child at turning things upside down?
Your inner child is one of your best allies when solving problem. Because of children’s ability to think beyond limits and because their minds haven’t been conditioned to make mental shortcuts yet, asking playful questions is one of the best ways to get good ideas.
The technique works as follow:
- Start by calling upon the playful child you have inside you, the one that used to create universe with robots, dolphins, and pirates living on a sun!
- Ask questions and try to answer them. Questions can be like:
- If you could eat or drink your problem, how would it taste?
- If you were your problem, how would you see the world? Can you describe it?
- If your problem were a human being, what would its life be like – its political views, its lifestyle, its family and friends? What would be its psyche, its problems and joys?
- Some other questions: If your problem could reincarnate, what would it become? What is the future of your problem, and its past?
- Note all the ideas you have based on those 3 answers.
By personifying the challenge and transforming it into something else, your brain will make new connections leading to great ideas.
Did you find new ideas to solve the problem? If yes, congrats! If not move on to the next technique!